Tuesday, October 16, 2012

On A Personal Note

Many of you know that there are four states (Washington, Maryland, Maine, and Minnesota) that have referendums or initiatives on the election ballot for November regarding equality. 

I usually keep this blog relatively specific to the public situations of health care. 

This year has been a real journey for me, however. 

I think I've been afraid to speak up about my sexuality and spirituality where backlash was potential, for a long time. Speaking about my health care journey at the Seattle Women's Choir Equality rallies and shows was easy because the supporters outnum
bered anyone who might disagree. 





Playing my music at GLBT affirming clubs and churches was never a problem, because everyone understood. This year particularly I've had to make some choices. I was conflicted about discussing sexuality and spirituality in my book about health care, even though both are huge parts of my life. I ultimately decided I needed to be honest and tell it all. I'm not ashamed to be a spiritual, faithful, believer in God. It's not a contradiction to love and believe. This year has been filled with baby steps that I didn't even realize I needed to take.

I thought I was "out" but I was only "safely out." Sometimes we have to speak up even when we're uncomfortable, even if we're scared--- because the only way things can be better for all people is when individuals come forward and tell the truth. Domestic Partnerships are separate and not equal in health care and many other ways. I know this, not from research, but from my own life and the lives of my friends.

These votes are not about my relationship. They are about all relationships. It's hard to know what life would be like to not have to fight for something like this. It's hard to know what it would feel like to not have groups dedicated to making sure others look at me as an abomination. It's hard to know what it would be like to meet someone, fall in love, and simply start planning a wedding with no legal barriers.

I'm less thinking about myself and more thinking about the children who come after me. Wouldn't it be nice if they never had to feel like their love was "less than." Wouldn't it be nice if everyone understood that God is love, and therefore real love, can never be "less than".





Link to my speech about Health Care and Referendum 74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au-dXE7L6jQ

Link to something else that touches my heart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0&feature=share

No comments:

Post a Comment